Friday, July 15, 2011

Interview With Abhishek Bachchan

Abhishek Bachchan
Once tagged as a flop star, Abhishek Bachchan has proved that he is a star after giving three successful films in 2005, Bunty aur Babli, Bluffmaster and Sarkar. Not only has Abhishek shown to the world that he is an actor of superior caliber but has also emerged as a style icon. Elle magazine has chosen him as the most stylish person of the year and CNN's has designated him as the entertainer of the year. 2005 undeniably belonged to Bachchan Junior and 2006 looks promising too.



Which was your best film in 2005?
I liked all my films. And I am equally proud of all of them. It's difficult to differentiate because you work hard in all your films. After all its your own work.



What was the biggest high of the year?
Dad's performance in Black. That was undoubtedly the biggest high for me. I wouldn't single out any of my own performances because none of them were anywhere near Dad. And at the end of the year, Black was selected by Time magazine as one of the 10 best films of the year. That's simply amazing.


Abhishek Bachchan

You've worked with your father in a number of films now. What is it like?
I am stunned and speechless. I tend to freeze or fumble before him. Watching him work is a revelation in itself.



Bluffmaster did extremely well in US. How does that feel?
I was happy to know that the first week's collections of Bluffmaster in the US were $160,000 dollars. In the second week, the collections went up by almost $60,000. That's practically unheard of. It definitely feels good to see that the audience like your work.



Bluffmaster was your first film with Priyanka Chopra. What was the experience like?
She is a very talented girl and great fun to have on the sets. It was great working with her.


Abhishek Bachchan

Elle magazine has chosen you as the most stylish person of the year?
It's very humbling...



Do you think you're stylish?
No. It's basically team work. I have to thank all the people who work from behind the scenes to create that illusion. If I am being labeled stylish the credit must go to my personal stylist Falguni Thakore and Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla. These are the people who do most of my clothes. I don't have any hand in this. Frankly I don't think I'm fashionable. But thank you very much.



Also, CNN has designated you the entertainer of the year?
I am thoroughly flattered. I don't agree with that at all.


Abhishek Bachchan

If you disagree so much then how do you explain being everyone's favourite?
How do I explain it? I don't even try to explain it. Aditya Chopra once told me, very seldom does the audience decide to like someone. No point in questioning it. Just be thankful and work extra hard to keep the audience's faith intact. I'll try my best not to disillusion those who've faith in me.



What are you looking forward to in 2006?
Quite a lot of things. But mainly I want to do more exciting work. I'll continue to work hard and leave the rest to god and the audience.



How is it going with JP Dutta and Umrao Jaan in Jaipur?
It is wonderful to get back in front of JP Saab's camera. It is like coming home. Shooting this film is a great deal of fun.


Abhishek Bachchan

And Aishwarya?
She is a thorough professional. So am I.



You went through a bad patch in your career and things are obviously looking up for you now. How good does that feel?
When things weren't too hunky dory some time back, I was compelled to pause, reflect and ask myself if I was in the right job. Today things are different. I don't feel as nervous and intense as I used to. I'd like to believe that I've come a long way, proven a lot and signed up some interesting projects with a broad spectrum of directors. Yet there are always times when I question what I am doing and myself!
Abhishek Bachchan